Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Needles and thread tips


Some of these tips may seem like we should all know them, but since everyone works and learns differently, I figure someone may appreciate the ideas. 

I wish I could say I am so smart that I have thought of all these on my own, but that is just not true. Some I have learned over the years and it has been so long that I couldn't tell you where or from whom I learned them; others I have picked up online from various blogs and Pinterest posts. Where I have a source link, I will share it with you. 

If there are any tips or suggestions you would like to see here or if you have any questions for me, please drop me a line at pheonixcreations@gsinet.net or on my Facebook page

Easier way to thread a sewing machine needle. 

Maybe it's just that my eyes have gotten older or maybe it's my patience that are running out, but it seems like it is getting harder and harder to thread the needle on my sewing machine. 

This method has not failed me yet and although it may still take me a few tries, I no longer get so frustrated that I wonder why I wanted to sew in the first place! 

Put the presser foot down and place a white card behind the needle. It helps the eye of the needle show up so much better. (I use a business card with very little writing on it as it is just the right side to fit in the area.)



Using cone thread on a regular sewing machine. 

A couple years back, I had a serger machine that required cones of thread - 4 at a time. To save a little money, I bought black and white cone thread in bulk. Very shortly after that, the serger decided to retire itself permanently. (Honestly, I think it was tired of all the extra cloth I was constantly getting stuck in it and declared itself emancipated and left the building.)

Anyway, once the serger was gone, I found myself with lots of white and black thread - on cones - that I couldn't use with my regular sewing machine because they were too big and the bottoms of the cone were wide causing them to wobble right off the spindle. 

Coffee cup to the rescue! 

Place the cone in a coffee cup - and place the cup behind the machine just under where the thread would sit on the spindle, normally. 

When threading the machine, go around the spindle - just from back to front, don't wind it all the way around. Then thread the machine as you normally would. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts